Maison Gatenia was the family home of the Nassiet family before our purchase in 2000. The Basque succession falls through the female line. Madame Nassiet lived here until her death late last century. At this time the four children could not agree upon a new proprietaire so the house was sold. The son Pierre(Pierrot) lived next door in the grange which is attached to the main building. ( There is still a doorway- now bricked-up- in the buanderie/ toilette.)
The house was built in 1858 as the founding stone above the entrance shows. The family worked in the linen business that flourished in the gave opposite until the commercial trout farm took over the premises. The residence is actually in Quartier Bidondo in the village of Licq in the commune of Tardets Sorholus .Locals will know the house as Chez Nassiet- still, after eight years!
Opposite Gatenia there is a house that belonged to the Alopeia family. We knew the occupants in the early years in Licq. They both died in their nineties and Manuel came to the area as a mason in the 1930s to escape Franco's regime. He is alleged to have walked over the mountains form Navarre. This house (and Gatenia too) operated for many years as a cafe/hostel. This would have been the last hospitality before the hills! This house is due for demolition in 2008.
|Web Design by www.artonweb.co.uk|